So I’m turning 40 in 6 months time. I really really expected to have my act together by now and not be riddled by insecurities, social gaffes and getting overwhelmed by life in general. So here is my list of stuff that I just can’t get right and I really expected to have right by now:
1. Putting on make-up – the best I can do is mascara
2. Doing my hair properly – all I’ve done is to grow it long and attack it with a GHD – not really a hair style
3. Knowing what to wear when – just not happening
4. Knowing when Aunt Flo should arrive and not wear white skinny jeans on that day – nope – today is case in point – had to drive home to change.
5. Having a whole circle of good girl friends that I can do girly stuff with – nope – friendship landscape is a desert
6. Hiding my dislike in people – if I don’t like you I can’t hide it – maybe too honest
7. Being able to tell white lies
8. Having good self confidence – not even remotely there – favourite pastime in the night is to tell myself how terrible I am
9. Having a career – yes well what can I say
10. Knowing where the scissors, nail clipper, tweezer, extension cord and double plugs are hiding in the house.
11. Always having clean and ironed clothes.
12. Having a medical emergency kit that is fully stocked and not just some random plasters and bandages floating around.
13. Feeling like a grown up and acting like it, not like a 20 year old playing pretend.
14. Having well behaved dogs that won’t jump on people – actually how did I become the owner of two large dogs? I expected to still love cats?
Urgghh and the list can go on and on and on,